Skip to content


Can I use my financial aid?
Yes! Any financial aid used for a semester at ECU is applicable to your semester abroad. You will need to maintain full-time enrollment to qualify for financial aid.

When should I start the process of looking for a program?
About a year in advance of the semester that you want to study abroad.

Do I have to know the native language?
No! Many universities teach in English. Under the advanced search option you can search by language of instruction.

What are the living arrangements like?
It varies from program to program. Some have home stays while others will have housing in a dorm style living situation.

How much will it cost?
Bilateral, ISEP Exchange and UNCEP programs bear the same as tuition and fees at ECU. With ISEP-Direct programs the student will pay the costs of the host university to ISEP. Students also need to account for flights and any personal spending.

How long can I study abroad?
Up to an academic year.

Is it more expensive abroad?
It depends on the country’s cost of living and the currency exchange rate.

Where can I study abroad?
Anywhere! We have programs in over 50 countries.  If none of our affiliated programs work for you, we can work with you to arrange a study abroad experience in another country.

What classes can I take?
Most of the universities have all of their classes open to study abroad students. Students should look at the host university's webpage for course listings.

Will studying abroad set back my graduation date?
If done correctly then it should not! Be sure to meet with your academic advisor and sign up for classes that will transfer back to ECU and will count towards your degree.

What if I want to study abroad in a specific country but can't find a program to fit my needs?
Email us at and we'll see what we can figure out!