Skip to content


All Students enrolled in University of North Carolina System institutions (including ECU students) who participate in international exchanges, study abroad programs, or who conduct research or other “for credit” activities related to their academic work are required to purchase the HTH Worldwide Sickness and Accident Policy for Study Abroad. The policy is written specifically for the University System of the State of North Carolina and was adopted after extensive study and review by several State of North Carolina agencies and university officials. All universities in the University of North Carolina System participate in the insurance program.

ECU students enroll in the medical insurance program through the Office of International Affairs. The premium is calculated on a per day basis (currently $1.42 per day for the 16-17 academic year) for the days of the study abroad or exchange program.*

The insurance coverage is described in the brochure, “Blanket Student Accident and Sickness Insurance” which is distributed to students during the pre-departure orientation session. This insurance is primary and should not be confused with that available through the International Student Identity Card (ISIC) which is considered secondary or supplemental.

*Students who participate in exchanges in Australia or Germany are required to purchase health insurance through their host institution. In addition to the in-country health plan, students are also required to purchase Medical Evacuation and Repatriation insurance through HTH Worldwide. For these students, the rate of insurance is $33.35 per month for the 16-17 Academic Year. Please note that this rate changes each year.

Students participating in exchanges through the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) are required to enroll in the ISEP Student Health Insurance Program.  For more information about this health insurance policy please visit the ISEP Health Insurance website.

What to do in the event of an emergency:

  • When taken to Hospital or Clinic, show HTH Insurance Card immediately.
  • Contact HTH at first available opportunity to follow up on claim.
  • If sufficient services are not being provided to student (ex. Doctor cannot speak English and proper translation is not being provided), contact HTH and they can provide appropriate assistance and make sure that students are receiving correct care.  If they are not receiving appropriate care, HTH can arrange for students to be taken to another facility.
  • Keep the Assistant Director of Education Abroad at ECU and the International Coordinator at the Host University abreast of the situation as it progresses.
  • What to do in the event of a non-emergency:
  • Contact HTH first to get information about doctors in their network. If an HTH contracted doctor is not available in the area where the student is living, they can provide information about other doctors available. HTH will continue to provide coverage to student if they must go to a doctor outside of the network.

Contact Information:

In the event of a medical emergency: As an HTH customer, you are eligible for global emergency assistance, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
For immediate assistance:
Inside the US, call 1.800.257.4823
Outside the US, call +1.610.254.8771

If you require medical evacuation, you must contact HTH Worldwide in advance or your evacuation may not be eligible for reimbursement. Available services include:
  • Medical evacuation planning and coordination
  • Medical monitoring and referral
  • Worldwide 24-hour assistance in locating medical care
  • Coordination of hospital payment guarantees

For more information send an e-mail to